Flatwater Skills Courses
Tuesday, 14th & Wednesday, 15th January 2014
Flat-water Skills course conducted through Canoe SA as a National Training Provider
Unless specified the location is Aquatic Reserve, Corner Bower & Old Port Road, West Lakes, SA.
To download a Flatwater Skills enrollment form CLICK HERE
Course include a minimum of 16 contact hours and is the starting point for paddlers who are seeking employment opportunities and want to:
- improve their paddling skills
- extend their ability under moderate conditions (winds to 17 knots)
- understand and improve their leadership and instructional style,
- undertake expedition style camping, or
- gain additional qualifications including Flatwater (Canoe or Kayak) Lifeguard, Flatwater Leader, Flatwater Guide & Flatwater Instructor
Flatwater Skills course covers the following elements:
- Introduction to Canoe/Kayaks
- Structure of Australian Canoeing and Canoe SA Inc.
- Understanding weather forecasts
- Practical skills in controlling a craft in moderate flatwater conditions (wind strength to 17 knots)
The second day of the course is a day paddle where candidates will put their skills into practice and can count for assessment for the Flatwater SKills Award.
Participants should come prepared for paddling sessions in both the morning and afternoon of each day of the course.
Course Fee: Flatwater Skills - $35.00
Course Fee: Flatwater Lifeguard - $350.00
Total cost for both courses = $575.00 (please note this cost does not include cost of assessment or registration of the award)
Forward your completed registration form to Canoe SA
By post: Canoe SA, PO Box 281, PORT ADELAIDE, SA. 5015
By Fax: 08 8240 3295
For accreditation candidates are required to complete:
- A theory assignment (provided at the course)
- Practical assessment
- Submit a logbook that meets the Australian Canoeing requirements for the award
A Flatwater (Canoe/Kayak) Lifeguard Course will be held prior to the Flatwater Skills Course and together the Flatwater Lifeguard and Flatwater Skills courses form the induction course for Flatwater Instructor or Flatwater Guide
Cost of both courses taken as Flatwater Instructor Induction = $575.00
Please Note: A Flatwater Skills Certificate is a pre-requisite to gaining Flatwater Instructor Qualification
Cost of the Flatwater Skills course - $335.00 ( a discount applies where you enroll and attend a Flatwater (Canoe or Kayak) Lifeguard Course)
Payment can be by Cheque, credit card or EFT
Payment by cheque - made out to "Canoe SA" and posted to Canoe SA, PO Box 281, Port Adelaide, SA. 5015
Payment by credit card - provide details on the enrolment form or phone Canoe SA office on (08) 8240 3294
Payment by EFT - Institution - Police Credit Union, BSB - 805005, Account No - 5159434
Other course dates for 2013 - 14
Port Augusta Flatwater Lifeguard - dates to be confirmed (possibly 1st - 4th October)
Together the Flatwater Skills Course and Flatwater Lifeguard Course provide the theoretical knowledge to be able to complete the Flatwater Instructor assessment.
To download the enrollment form for Flatwater Lifeguard Courses please CLICK HERE